If you regularly find that you have too much rubbish for your grey bin, there are lots of things you can do.
Check you are putting things in the correct bin:
Here are the top things that people
put in their grey bin that could actually be recycled:
- Unopened, out-of-date food can go in your food caddy and the packaging in the right recycling bin (e.g. cans in brown bin, paper packaging in blue bin).
- Leftover takeaway rubbish should all go into your food caddy and foil containers in the brown bin.
- Plate leftovers and fruit or vegetable peelings can all go in your food caddy.
- Aerosols should go in your brown bin.
- Tin foil and foil food trays go in your brown bin.
- Plastic bottles can all go in your brown bin.
- Cartons e.g. juice cartons (tetra packs) are cardboard and should all go in blue bin.
- Cardboard boxes e.g. egg boxes, cereal boxes go in your blue bin.
Consider buying things with less packaging:
If you are recycling everything and still have too much rubbish, you may be eligible to apply for an extra grey bin: