Fishing areas

Fishing rod licence

Anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England (except the River Tweed), Wales or the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland must have an Environment Agency Fishing Rod Licence.

A rod licence is required by law and entitles the licensee to use a rod and line to fish.

Money from the sale of licences helps to fund the Environment Agency's work managing fisheries.

If you are caught fishing without one, you could be fined up to £2,500.

Rod licences are issued by the Environment Agency. They differ from permits (often referred to as tickets or day tickets) which give permission to fish a particular water or waters and are issued by fishery owners, angling clubs and so on.

Buy a rod licence

Full and Junior Rod licences can be purchased from any Post Office in England and Wales or phone 0870 1662 662.

Concessionary licences

Post offices sell concessionary licences for Blue Badge holders (available to people who suffer from restricted access in their every-day lives) and concessionary licences for people aged 65 or over.

Full and Concessionary rod licences expire on 31 March.