1. Protect yourself against COVID-19
Having a COVID-19 vaccination is the best way to protect yourself from COVID-19
Research has shown that having a COVID-19 vaccine helps:
- reduce your risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19
- reduce your risk of catching or spreading COVID-19
- protect against a COVID-19 variant
Who can have a Covid-19 Vaccination?
- Everyone aged 5 (on or before 31 August 2022) and over can get a 1st and 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- People aged 16 and over, and some children aged 12 to 15, can also get a booster dose.
- People aged 5 and over who had a severely weakened immune system when they had their 1st or 2nd dose will be offered an additional primary dose (3rd dose) before any booster doses.
- Some people, including those aged 50 years or over, those at higher risk or who are pregnant
- Frontline health and social care workers are offered a seasonal booster (autumn booster).
How can you book a COVID-19 vaccination?
You can book a vaccine online if you are registered with a GP surgery in England. You can register with a GP if you do not have one, or you can go to a walk-in vaccination centre
- Book your Covid-19 Vaccination here - NHS website
- Find a Walk-In Covid Vaccination Centre - NHS website
- For more information on Covid-19 vaccination - NHS website
You could still catch or spread COVID-19 even if you are fully vaccinated or have had the virus before. COVID-19 is spread through close contact with people who have the virus. People with the virus can spread it even if they do not have symptoms. When someone with the virus breathes, speaks, coughs or sneezes, they release small droplets containing the virus. You can catch COVID-19 if you breathe in these droplets or touch surfaces covered with droplets.
How to stop the spread of COVID-19
There are simple things you can do in your daily life that will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections and protect those at the highest risk. Things you can choose to do are:
- Get vaccinated.
- Let fresh air in if meeting others indoors.
- Practise good hygiene:
- wash your hands
- cover your coughs and sneezes
- clean your surroundings frequently
- Wear a face covering or a face mask.
For more information on how you can stop the spread of COVID-19: