9. Oral Health
If you need advice on oral health for your baby, speak to your midwife or health visitor at your local Children's Centres.
They can give advice on:
- introducing a good toothbrushing routine as soon as the first tooth appears
- using an open or free flow feeder cup, giving only plain milk or water
- weaning onto a healthy diet
- dental attendance from an early age
Key oral health messages for keeping teeth and gums healthy:
- Cut down on sugar and keep all foods and drinks that have added sugar to mealtimes only
- Brush at least twice a day – last thing at night before bed and on one other occasion using fluoride toothpaste containing at least 1350ppmF and after brushing do not rinse
- Visit the dentist as often as recommended and take children along from an early age
You can buy toothbrushes and toothpaste at your local children’s centre, three products for just £1.50 (one item must be fluoride toothpaste). Free-flow feeder cups are also available to buy for £1.20.
- Looking after your baby's - NHS website
- Drinks and cups for babies and young children - NHS website
- Start4Life - NHS website
- Change4life Food Scanner on App Store / Change4life Food Scanner on Google Play
- How to find an NHS dentist - NHS website
- Greater Manchester Urgent Dental Care website
- British Society of Paediatric Dentistry (BSPD) Kidsvids website
- Brush DJ website
- How to brush your baby’s teeth (video by Oldham Council) - YouTube
- Oldham's Big Brush | Q&A with Dr Amjad Chaudhary (video by Oldham Council) - YouTube
- National Smile Month | Q&A with Dr Amjad Chaudhary (video by Oldham Council) - YouTube
Online learning packages:
The healthy smiles, health bodies trainer’s toolkit
The toolkit is a training programme using the ‘train the trainer’ model for community-facing workforces, organisations and volunteer groups who have direct contact with Oldham residents, especially families with young children under five. It will provide people with the knowledge and skills to deliver evidenced based oral health messages.
- Children's Oral Health Training For Early Years Practitioners - GM Training Hub website
The Greater Manchester Training Hub has developed this oral health training for those working with young children, delivered in short and easy to understand training videos each of which takes no longer than 30 minutes to complete. Certificate received on completion of the assessment.
- Supervised Toothbrushing in Early Years and Educational Settings - GM Training Hub website
The Greater Manchester Training Hub has developed this training material intended for early years and education staff who are working with their local health teams to deliver a supervised toothbrushing programme. All three training videos take less than 30 minutes to watch, and certificate received on completion of feedback.