Coronavirus: Local restrictions

There is now a 3-tier set of Local COVID alert levels for England – Medium, High and Very High. Oldham is currently an area where the local COVID alert level is very high.

Coronavirus: Information and advice

1. Holiday hunger

Across Oldham, Oldham Council and other partner organisations are doing what we can to help fight food hunger.

We've been working hard to identify those families who most need our support, and distributing emergency food vouchers for use at local foodbanks.

We’ve also provided funding for food to a number of local community groups holding activities throughout the school holidays.

Here’s what’s available for anyone needing urgent emergency support:

Oldham Foodbank

Emergency food for local people in crisis. Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. 

Foodbank clients bring their voucher to a foodbank centre where it can be redeemed for three days emergency food. Volunteers meet clients over a cup of tea or free hot meal and are able to signpost people to agencies able to solve the longer-term problem.

Unit B
Prince of Wales Industrial Units
Vulcan Street

Two satellite Food Banks operate on a Monday between 11am – 2pm at South Chadderton Methodist Church, Thompson Lane, Chadderton OL9 8LX and Salvation Army, Shaw, OL2 8QY.

Emergency helpline

The Council, Oldham Foodbank, and Action Together have been working together to arrange the delivery of food, medicine, and other essential personal and household items to people in urgent need.

This offer is for people, of any age, who are unable to leave the house or are experiencing financial challenges as a result of Coronavirus and don’t have a trusted friend, neighbour or family member to help them. 

  • Phone: 0161 770 7007

Open from: 9am – 5pm on weekdays - closed on Saturday and Sunday.

If you have a safeguarding concern, please call the Out of Hours MASH Team:

  • Phone 0161 770 6936)
  • Text service: 07860 022876

Texts will be responded to where possible within 24 hours, Monday to Friday. 

What you can do to help

Donate to foodbanks

Oldham Foodbank relies on the goodwill and support of the people of Oldham helping their fellow Oldhamers.

During these difficult times, donating is more important than ever. With families across our borough struggling financially, more and more of them are having to turn to foodbanks to get by.

By picking up a few extra items when you’re doing your shopping and donating them to Oldham Foodbank, you’ll be helping people less fortunate in your community.

Find out more about what items are urgently needed, where you can drop off items or making a financial donation, visiting the website

Check social media

Following footballer Marcus Rashford’s campaign to provide free school lunches, businesses and organisations across Oldham have been offering to help for those most in need.

We’ll be sharing all their posts/tweets so check our Facebook and Twitter pages.