Most complaints and concerns can be dealt with informally and resolved by speaking with your child’s teacher, the Head of Year, or by making an appointment to discuss your concerns with the Head Teacher.

If you are unable to resolve matters informally then you are able to make a formal complaint in writing to the Head Teacher who will then investigate and respond to the complaint.

If matters are still not resolved or if your complaint is about the Head Teacher then you will need to put your complaint in writing to the Chair of Governors either via the school address or by writing to:

Governor Support
Oldham Council
Level 4
Civic Centre
West Street

There are some school complaint matters for which the Local Authority still retains responsibility and these include complaints relating to:

  • Some admissions to schools
  • Statutory assessments of Special Educational Needs (SEN)
  • School reorganisation proposals
  • Matters likely to require a Child Protection Investigation
  • Exclusion of children from school

For complaints about these matters, or if you have any questions or need assistance to access the school complaint process, you may contact the Council’s Complaints Team.

You are also able to contact Ofsted regarding any concerns about schools and can do this in the following ways:

Complaints about maintained schools and nursery schools

Investigating and responding to complaints about schools is the responsibility of the Head Teacher and the School Governing Body.

All Oldham schools have in place a Complaints Procedure for parents and others to use if they wish to progress a formal complaint about something at the school. Usually you will find a copy of the school complaint procedure on the school website, or you are able to ask for a copy of the procedure from the school office.

Complaints about academies and independent schools

Academies and Independent Schools sit outside of Council control and are regulated by the Department for Education and the School Funding Agency.

Academies and Independent Schools are required to have a complaint procedure for parents and others to use and copies of the procedure should be made available on the school website.

Once you have completed the school complaint process if you remain dissatisfied with the way the school has dealt with your complaint you are able to write to:

Department for Education
School Complaints Unit
2nd Floor
Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
M1 2WD