My Account Services offline from 5pm, Thursday 29 February 2024

Some My Account services will be unavailable until 5 March, while we calculate the annual Council Tax bills and Housing Benefit awards for 2024/25. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Further information

Any person operating a business where all or the majority of their goods sold are second hand must be registered as a dealer in second hand goods with Oldham Council who will issue a second hand dealers licence.


Licence application:

By submitting an application you consent to Oldham Council passing on the information contained on the application to any authority or person/partners that will assist in the determination of the application.

Licences are valid for 3 years.

Condition of licence

Registered dealers must record every transaction made in the course of his business, and enter in a book kept by them:

  • Date of the transaction
  • Quantity and description of the articles
  • Name and address of the person from whom the articles were acquired

The register must be kept for at least 12 months and must be produced to any authorised officer of the council or a police officer on request.


You do not require a licence if you:

  • Are engaged in a business carried out by a group, organisation or body registered as a charity under Section 4 of the Charities Act 1960
  • Have a business that is solely or principally selling, purchasing or dealing in motor vehicles
  • Are registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 (motor salvage and scrap metal dealers)
  • Are engaged in a business that mainly supplies new unused goods
  • Hold a licence issued under section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
  • Are engaged in business as a dealer in waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastics in bulk
  • Are engaged in the business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements or credit sale agreements.