Highways work

Building materials and excavation

If you wish to place building materials on any part of the highway a licence is required.

A licence is not normally necessary if materials are placed on private land. All materials must be placed on private land whenever possible.

Application form


  • Pay online
  • Pay over the phone: 0161 770 6611 (select option 2).

Quote Paying in Code: K36455061D9.

  • Placing materials on highways: £62
  • Excavation of highways: £227
  • Pavement cafe licence (grant): £175
  • Pavement cafe licence (renewal): £98 

Highways projection

A licence is required for any display that may protrude/project over a public highway.

Traffic Management Team
Unity Partnership
Henshaw House
Oldham, OL1 1NY
Tel 0161 770 4363