Find out what to do if you are organising an event within the Borough of Oldham.

Events include fairs, pop concerts, festivals, religious events, fun runs, family fun days, car rallies, Remembrance day parades, Whit walks and street parties.

Notify the Council of an event

Do you need to notify the Council of your event? 

You should notify the Council if your event will:

  • Impact on traffic or parking
  • Take place on Council land
  • Require road closures or 'no waiting' restrictions
  • Have loud music
  • Provide entertainment
  • Sell food, drink or alcohol
  • Require licences e.g. street trading or sale of alcohol
  • Attract over 200 people

5 weeks is the standard prior notice period required for any event organisers who require a road closure.

If your event is on private land and doesn't fall into one of the above categories you do not need to notify the Council. However the Council can help advertise your event:

Use of parks and open spaces

 The use of our parks is generally free, however larger or commercial events may incur a charge. 

The cost of hire:

Large Park: £391.00
Small Park: £186.00

Large parks:

Small parks:

Use of town centre

If your query is relates to town centre issues such as promotional stalls, areas for street performers, shopping times etc. Please can you contact our Town Centre Team:


Guidance and Useful Documents

A number of useful documents ranging from completing risk assessments to guidance on closing a highway are available for download below. all are designed to give you all the guidance you need to successfully organise and run an event on public land

Music at events

All organisers of events that involve music will need to obtain the appropriate licence from PRS. This should be done prior to the event taking place.


More advice

The Council's Events Team are happy to help you with any queries