Find out what to do if you are organising an event within the Borough of Oldham.
Events include fairs, pop concerts, festivals, religious events, fun runs, family fun days, car rallies, Remembrance day parades, Whit walks and street parties.
Notify the Council of an event
Do you need to notify the Council of your event?
You should notify the Council if your event will:
- Impact on traffic or parking
- Take place on Council land
- Require road closures or 'no waiting' restrictions
- Have loud music
- Provide entertainment
- Sell food, drink or alcohol
- Require licences e.g. street trading or sale of alcohol
- Attract over 200 people
5 weeks is the standard prior notice period required for any event organisers who require a road closure.
If your event is on private land and doesn't fall into one of the above categories you do not need to notify the Council. However the Council can help advertise your event:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Use of parks and open spaces
The use of our parks is generally free, however larger or commercial events may incur a charge.
The cost of hire:
Large Park: £402.33
Small Park: £191.39
- Alexandra Park, Alexandra Ward
- Royton Park, Royton South
- Stoneleigh Park, St James’ Ward
- Waterhead Park, Waterhead Ward
- Chadderton Hall Park, Chadderton North
- Churchill Playing Fields, Saddleworth South
- Copster Park, Medlock Vale Ward
- Foxdenton Park, Chadderton Central Ward
- High Crompton Park, Crompton Ward
- Tandle Hill Country Park, Royton North Ward
- Werneth Park, Werneth Ward
- Bullcote Park, Royton South Ward
- Coalshaw Green Park, Chadderton South Ward
- Dunwood Park, Shaw Ward
- Fitton Park, Chadderton North Ward
- Higher Memorial Park, Failsworth East Ward
- King George V/St Chad’s Uppermill, Saddleworth South Ward
- Lees Park, Saddleworth West and Lees Ward
- Limeside Park, Hollinwood Ward
- Lower Memorial Park, Failsworth West Ward
- Dogford Park, Royton North Ward
Use of town centre
If your query is relates to town centre issues such as promotional stalls, areas for street performers, shopping times etc. Please can you contact our Town Centre Team:
- email: email@example.com
Guidance and Useful Documents
A number of useful documents ranging from completing risk assessments to guidance on closing a highway are available for download below. all are designed to give you all the guidance you need to successfully organise and run an event on public land
- General Events Guidance - gov.uk website
- Event Notification Form (.pdf)
- Example Event Risk Assessment (.pdf)
- Blank Risk Assessment Template (.doc)
- Road closures and diversion routes
Music at events
All organisers of events that involve music will need to obtain the appropriate licence from PRS. This process is independent from the Council and should be done prior to the event taking place.
PPL PRS - Charity and Community Discounts
Any organisers who wish to apply for a community or charity discount from PPL PRS must complete the application form in full, and submit the form at least 14 days prior to the event.
If the event is suitable children and young people (aged 0 – 25 year) who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families then please register with Oldham’s SEND Local Offer.
Our SEND Local Offer is a free directory of services, activities, information and events for Oldham’s families with SEND. You can apply to advertise here free of charge if your event is suitable. You can also advertise other events and activities too.
The Council's Events Team are happy to help you with any queries
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org.