Council Tax discount
Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax owing in the meantime.
If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.
Appeal payment of Council Tax
You can appeal payment of Council Tax if you feel that:
- Your property should not be subject to a Council Tax charge
- You should not be liable to pay a Council Tax bill
- You think the calculation of the charge is wrong
You must appeal in writing to the Council Tax Team.
Appeal your valuation band
You can challenge your banding in these circumstances:
- After demolition/part demolition
- Conversion of houses to flats
- Physical changes in locality affecting values
- A change in the domestic use of a composite property
And within 6 months of:
- A band change to your property by the Listing Officer
- A band change to a similar property to yours made by the Valuation Tribunal or the High Court
- Becoming a new taxpayer
The Valuation Office Agency deals with queries about your Council Tax banding. For information on how to apeal visit the gov.uk website.
- Council Tax appeals - (gov.uk website)