Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax owing in the meantime.

If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Appeal payment of Council Tax

You can appeal payment of Council Tax if you feel that:

  • Your property should not be subject to a Council Tax charge
  • You should not be liable to pay a Council Tax bill
  • You think the calculation of the charge is wrong

You must appeal in writing to the Exchequer Division.

Appeal your valuation band

You can challenge your banding in these circumstances:

  • After demolition/part demolition
  • Conversion of houses to flats
  • Physical changes in locality affecting values
  • A change in the domestic use of a composite property

And within 6 months of:

  • A band change to your property by the Listing Officer
  • A band change to a similar property to yours made by the Valuation Tribunal or the High Court
  • Becoming a new taxpayer

The Valuation Office Agency deals with queries about your Council Tax banding. For information on how to apeal visit the website.