Council Tax discount

In Council Tax law, ‘student’ means ‘full-time student’. You must be enrolled with a ‘prescribed educational establishment’ and your course must be one of the following:

  • A course which lasts at least one academic or calendar year and which requires you to undertake at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, or
  • A course which is not higher education, which lasts for more than 3 calendar months and requires you to undertake more than 12 hours of study. (you must be under 20 if on this type of course)

If only students live at the address, you may be eligible for an exemption (so there will be no Council Tax to pay at all). 

An exemption from Council Tax can only be granted if all the people living in a property are full-time students.

If there is one person who is not a student, only a 25% discount can be granted.

If there are 2 people who are not students, no discount can be granted at all.

You will be required to upload a copy of the student certificate from the college/university to complete this form.


Apprentices may be disregarded if they are employed to learn a job and, as part of that learning, they are undertaking training leading to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications.

They must be paid no more than £195 per week. 

Non-British spouses of full-time students

If a full-time student has a non-British husband or wife or civil partner who holds a visa which prevents them from taking paid employment or claiming benefits in the UK, they may be eligible for a discount.

If a person gets the discount and is the only non-student living at an address where all the other residents are students, an exemption will apply (this means there will be no Council Tax to pay at all).

If you think you may be entitled to a discount, contact our Council Tax Team