When someone dies you can notify the council by completing the notification of death form:

This form can be returned by email:

or by post:

Council Tax Team
Civic Centre
West Street

Required information

The following information will be required:

  • The name of the deceased person and the date they died.
  • The address of the property they lived in.

If the deceased person was also the Council Tax payer, you will also need to provide:

  • The names and addresses of any executors to the will
  • The name and address of the appointed solicitors
  • The name of any remaining occupiers

The executor or their representative must inform the Council of:

  • The full owner details
  • The date probate was granted
  • The date when the furniture was removed from the property
  • Details of the transfer of title or the sale of the property

If you do not have all this information to hand, please supply what you can and advise the Council of the remaining information when it becomes available, remember to include your name, address and telephone number on all communications.