On 1 July 2005 a new directive, the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005 SI 2005 No. 1515 (PSI) was introduced to allow people to apply to re-use information we hold. We are not under any automatic obligation to allow re-use of information but if we do allow re-use of any of our public sector information, this has to be done in accordance with the regulations. 

The focus of Freedom of information is on access to information, whereas the PSI Regulations refer to its re-use. Receiving information under Freedom of Information and other information access regimes does not give you an automatic right to re-use the information and you must make a distinct request to re-use it.

Examples of public sector information are national and local legislation, statistics, local planning, tourist information, and guidance on local community issues and policies etc.

Re-use means using the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the document was originally produced. This could include for a commercial purpose.

Open data

All text content on this website, including datasets published on our Open Data pages, is available for non commercial re use under the terms of the Open Government Licence (OGL) v3.0, with the following exceptions:

  • The exclusions specified
  • Where we specifically state otherwise, and/or
  • Other licensing conditions are applicable, such as for example ‘INSPIRE’ datasets

Before you request information from us you should check if it is already available via our Open data page

You do not need ask permission to re-use any accessible information for which Oldham Council holds the copyright, but you must agree and comply with the terms of the open government licence (OGL).

This includes content published on the Oldham Council website and open_data (not including logos), unless otherwise stated. Further guidance about copyright, exclusions, and the OGL can be found on ourterms_and_licensing and terms and disclaimer pages terms

How do I make a request to re-use information?

To be valid a request must:

  • be in writing
  • state your name and address
  • specify the document which you want to re-use
  • specify the purpose you intend to use it for

To comply with PSI legislation we have a duty to:

  • Respond to all PSI requests within 20 working days. This period may be extended where the request is extensive or complex 
  • Offer appropriate advice and guidance, where necessary 
  • Grant licences for re-use of public sector information where applicable 
  • Levy fees where there is reasonable justification to cover the costs of producing and supplying the data

Responding to a request means:

  • making the requested document available for re-use, or
  • where conditions are attached to the re-use, finalising the offer to you of the conditions on which re-use will be permitted, or
  • refusing the request

Will I always be granted permission to re-use documents?

Not always. The Regulations allow the council to refuse requests for one or more of the following reasons:

  • the document contains information in which intellectual property rights are owned by a third party; for example architectural drawings which the council has commissioned from an architect who retains the copyright
  • the content of the document is exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
  • the document falls outside the council's statutory functions

Will I be told why you have refused to let me re-use the information?

Yes - if we refuse your request for re-use we must inform you in writing of the reason for refusal, eg if the intellectual property rights belong to another body.  

In order to make a request, or ask for a response to be reconsidered, you can email or write to us as detailed below.

Email: information.management@oldham.gov.uk

Your request can be made by applying in writing to: 

Information Management Team
Civic Centre
West Street

If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request or the response, please contact the Information Manager at the contact details above.

You are also entitled to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner whose postal address is: 

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane