There are three things you must do in the first few days after someone dies.
- Get a medical certificate from a GP or hospital doctor. You’ll need this to register the death
- Register the death. You’ll then get the documents you need to arrange a funeral.
- Arrange the funeral
You can also use Tell Us Once to report a death to most government organisations in one go.
1 Getting a medical certificate
This will be provided by the GP or hospital doctor that certifies the death.
2 Registering a death
Once you have the medical certificate all deaths must be registered by law.
You’ll have to do so to get the documents you need to arrange a funeral. If you wish to book an appointment to register a death in Oldham, please use the links below:
- Book an appointment to register a death in Oldham
- What you will need to bring to the appointment (gov.uk website)
Deaths must be registered within five days unless the death is reported to the coroner.
We advise you to register the death in the borough in which it occurred so you receive a death certificate straight away. This will help you to avoid delays and begin making funeral arrangements.
- What to do if a death is reported to the coroner (gov.uk website)
Tell Us Once
Use Tell Us Once to report a death to most government organisations in one go.