What you will need

Before you can use the Tell Us Once service you will need specific information which is listed on the GOV.UK website:

After you register a death, you can ask us to tell other government departments about the death so you don't have to contact them yourself.

How do I use Tell Us Once?

You must have registered the death before you use Tell Us Once.

When you have done so, we’ll provide you with a unique reference number.

You’ll need this when you contact Tell Us Once.

This can be done:

Tell Us Once can contact the following organisations on your behalf:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, for example Income Support
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • The local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • Public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments