What you will need
Before you can use the Tell Us Once service you will need specific information which is listed on the GOV.UK website:
- Tell Us Once - GOV.UK website
After you register a death, you can ask us to tell other government departments about the death so you don't have to contact them yourself.
How do I use Tell Us Once?
You must have registered the death before you use Tell Us Once.
When you have done so, we’ll provide you with a unique reference number.
You’ll need this when you contact Tell Us Once.
This can be done:
- Online (DWP website)
Tell Us Once can contact the following organisations on your behalf:
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, for example Income Support
- Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
- The local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
- Public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments