Privacy Notice - Learning and Development
What this privacy notice is for
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council’s primary privacy notice at:
This notice provides additional privacy information for:
- individuals who use our Learning and Development service
Updating our privacy notices
We may update or revise our privacy notices at any time so please refer to the version published on our website for the most up-to-date details.
What we use your information for
We collect/obtain your personal information for the following purpose(s):
- to register you for training courses
- to give you access to our online training platform
- to create reports on course attendance and completion
- to notify you of mandatory training courses
- to provide you with course joining instructions
What categories of personal information do we use?
Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This can include information that when linked with other information, allows a person to be uniquely identified. For example, this could be your name and contact details.
The law treats some types of personal information as ‘special’ because the information requires more protection due to its sensitivity. This information consists of:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Sexuality and sexual life
- Religious or philosophical beliefs
- Trade union membership
- Political opinions
- Genetic and bio-metric data
- Physical or mental health
- Criminal convictions and offences
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain the following personal information.
Category of personal data
Organisational department/service area
Physical/Mental Health – for any assistance you may require to participate in training
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing and or sharing your personal information is:
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(b) – performance of a contract. Where, as part of the terms of your employment we are duty bound to provide ongoing training and development.
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(e) – public task. Where there is a statutory obligation to provide specific training courses as part of your role.
We may share personal information about you with the following organisations:
- Internally with other departments in Oldham Council
- External training providers
- Your employer/organisation
- Care Quality Commission
- Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub
As well as information collected directly from you, we also obtain or receive information from:
- Internally from other departments in Oldham Council
- External training providers
- Your employer/organization
Data Transfers beyond the European Economic Area
We do not transfer any of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’).
All the decisions we make about you involve human intervention.
An exception to this is where you participate in online training and the course includes assessments/exams as part of the content, which automatically determines if you have completed the course successfully, dependent on your responses.
Our Guide to Exercising Your Rights outlines the procedure to ask us for an automated decision to be reviewed by an appropriate officer. This can be found at:
How long do we keep your data?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as the law specifies or where the law does not specify this, for the length of time determined by our business requirements.
We may retain items of your personal data; including information regarding courses you attended/completed, for a period of up to 3 years after you leave the organisation.
Where can I get advice?
More information on how to seek advice in order to exercise your rights, raise a concern or complain about the handling of your personal information by the council can be found in the council’s privacy notice which can be found at: