Privacy Notice - Business Growth and Investment
What this privacy notice is for
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council’s primary privacy notice at:L
- Data Protection - web page
This notice provides additional privacy information for:
- Residents, new business start-ups, existing businesses and business partners
Updating our privacy notices
We may update or revise our privacy notices at any time so please refer to the version published on our website for the most up to date details
What do we use your information for?
We collect or obtain your personal information for the following purpose(s):
To enable the Council to deliver business development, growth and inward investment in Oldham. A greater use of business intelligence to thoroughly understand the requirements and issues faced by the existing Oldham business base and inward moving businesses.
Oldham account management system to help investors with their needs before and after moving to the Borough.
Identify targeting growth companies and sectors to ensure that the sectors and companies that are going to have the greatest impact on the growth of the borough are engaged and supported via the Oldham offer.
All enquiries are logged on a shared system and allocated to the relevant lead/organisation and shared for information and potential cross-working actioned and monitored for outputs/outcomes and PR opportunities. Avoids duplication, confusion and improves ways of working.
We collect a lot of enquiries data in many ways through:
- Phone 0161 770 2077 or face-to-face meetings and visits.
What categories of personal information do we use?
Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This can include information that when linked with other information, allows a person to be uniquely identified. For example, this could be your name and contact details.
The law treats some types of personal information as ‘special’ because the information requires more protection due to its sensitivity. This information consists of:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Sexuality and sexual life
- Religious or philosophical beliefs
- Trade union membership
- Political opinions
- Genetic and bio-metric data
- Physical or mental health
- Criminal convictions and offences
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain the following personal information.
Category of personal data
Primary data: Name, email address, bank account details
Demographic: Address, postcode, telephone/mobile number
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing and or sharing your personal information is:
We will share your information for the following purposes:
- Oldham Council - Get Oldham Working – assist with recruitment/job opportunities
- Oldham Council – Regeneration – investment schemes – improvement grants
- Oldham Council – Property – economic development – improvement grants
- Oldham Council – Accounts payable – payment of invoices - marketing Oldham events
- Oldham Enterprise Trust – new business start-ups
- Business Rates – If meet certain criteria could qualify for rates relief
- Licensing – A requirement for selling food and drink
- Building Control – Regulations for changes to buildings
- Planning – Permission for development and approved plans
- Unity Partnership – (they manage our properties) commercial properties
- Public Protection – environmental, health advice for residents/business
- Business Growth Company – business growth/support business/advice
- MIDAS – supports local authorities; attract investors; information and advice
- The Oldham Business Awards – Companies can enter regardless of size and industry
- Visit Oldham – the official tourism website – events (supported by New Mind)
- Tourist Information Centre – various enquiries – tourism/events and complaints
- Visit Manchester - The Official Tourist Board for Manchester & GM – promote Oldham
- Rochdale Borough Council – support a business to relocate to suitable premises
- Tractivity – internet database – public property search – stores details of property and general Managing and reporting.
- EGI – send any new premises on the market not showing on Tractivity
As well as information collected directly from you, we also obtain or receive information from:
- Business Growth Company – Assist/support a business relocation into Oldham
- MIDAS – request for inward investment - premises for potential clients
Data Transfers beyond European Economic Area
We do not transfer any of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’).
All the decisions we make about you involve human intervention.
How long do we keep your data?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as the law specifies or where the law does not specify this, for the length of time determined by our business requirements.
- Data collected for general enquiries, property and investment purposes will be destroyed within 12 months.
Where can I get advice?
More information on how to seek advice in order to exercise your rights, raise a concern or complain about the handling of your personal information by the council can be found in the council’s privacy notice which