Privacy Notice - District Casework

What this privacy notice is for

Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council’s primary privacy notice at:

This notice provides additional privacy information for individuals contacting the Council’s District Teams (North, East, South, West and Central Districts).

What we use your information for

We collect your personal information for the following purpose(s):

  • Enable us to refer individuals or families to the most appropriate service to resolve issues raised with the District Casework.
  • To enable us to measure whether services are effective in resolving these issues.
  • Enable us to engage with individuals active within the local community.

What categories of personal information we use

Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This can include information that when linked with other information, allows a person to be uniquely identified. For example, this could be your name and contact details.

The law treats some types of personal information as ‘special’ because the information requires more protection due to its sensitivity. This information consists of:

  • Racial or ethnic origin
  • Sexuality and sexual life
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs
  • Trade union membership
  • Political opinions
  • Genetic and bio-metric data
  • Physical or mental health
  • Criminal convictions and offences

In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain the following personal information.

Category of personal data


Name, gender and date of birth


Email address, postal address and telephone number


Reason for contact (e.g. relating to financial and social

circumstances, lifestyle and behaviour, physical and mental health)


Involvement with other services and organisations


Legal basis for processing

The legal basis for processing and or sharing your personal information is:

  • Resident enquiries to the Casework Service - The Data Protection (Processing of Sensitive Personal Data) (Elected Representatives) Order 2002.
  • Information in the District Team’s contacts database is based on individuals giving explicit consent for the information they provide to be processed and shared.

Information sharing/recipients

We may share personal information about you with the following organisations / types of organisations:

  • Organisations or Council teams delivering public services so that they can investigate and resolve the issue you are experiencing.
  • Children’s or adults social services, Greater Manchester Police and other relevant organisations where there is a legal justification to do so in order to protect individuals from harm, or because a serious crime has, or may be, committed.

As well as information collected directly from you, we also obtain or receive information from:

  • Organisations delivering public services who are involved with your case.
  • Organisations which have delivered public services to you and family members included in the issue, in order to help us understand your needs and what support has previously been provided (e.g. social services, education services including schools, housing providers, health services, Department for Work and Pensions). Information will only be shared where it is relevant to do so, and the level of information shared will be proportionate to the needs identified.
  • Greater Manchester Police, probation and youth justice services where the issue involves concerns about criminal or anti-social behaviour.

Data Transfers beyond European Economic Area

We do not transfer any of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’).

Automated Decisions

All the decisions we make about you involve human intervention.

How long we keep your data

Information will be kept for ten years from when you stop working with the service or until you withdraw your consent. If you wish to withdraw consent please contact the district team for your area. Details of each team are available on our neighbourhoods web page:

Where can I get advice?

More information on how to seek advice in order to exercise your rights, raise a concern or complain about the handling of your personal information by the council can be found in the council’s privacy notice