Children and family benefits

Care to Learn grant

Care to Learn gives up to £160 per week to teenage parents who want to continue their education and need help with the cost of their childcare.


Request an application pack from the Care to Learn helpline:

Employer support with costs

Some large employers (such as the NHS or local authorities) can help with childcare costs.

For a list of all help available, visit the Family and Childcare Trust website or talk to your employer.

Healthy Start vouchers

You can spend Healthy Start vouchers on a range of healthy grocery items.

Maternity pay

A weekly payment for new mums, paid by your employer (if you have worked for at least 26 weeks).

For more information and help contact the Family Information Service.

Free nursery education for 3 & 4 year olds

All 3 and 4 year olds in England are entitled to a free early education place for up to two years before they reach statutory school age (the beginning of the school term immediately following their fifth birthday).

New Deal

The New Deal is support for lone parents getting back into work.

Contact your local Jobcentre Plus to find out more:

Student support

Student support includes:

  • Learner Support Funds for further education students
  • Childcare grants for higher education students
  • NHS bursaries

Contact the Family Information Service for more information and to get help applying.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

A Sure Start Maternity Grant helps to pay for the immediate needs of a new baby if your income is low.

Find out about eligibility and apply on the Directgov website:

Tax credits

Child Tax Credit

Whether you are working or not, families with incomes of up to £58,000 a year (or £66,000 a year if there is at least one child who is less than a year old) could be eligible for Child Tax Credit.

Working Tax Credit - Childcare element

Working Tax Credit is an in-work tax credit for families with low incomes and includes an element to support the costs of registered or approved childcare.

Contact the Family Information Service for more information and to get help applying.

Family Information Service