litter Published: Wednesday, 02nd February 2022

Oldham Council has successfully prosecuted a resident for blighting his neighbourhood with rubbish.

Gheorge Raucanu is the latest person to find himself in trouble after he thought it was ok to leave rubbish strewn in the street.

Officers discovered the waste, on one of the busiest gateways to and from the borough, on June 29 last year.

It was traced to Raucanu, who lives doors away from where the rubbish was found on Ashton Road. He was summonsed to court for a littering offence.

He failed to turn up at Tameside Magistrates Court on January 31 and the case was proved in his absence.

Raucanu was fined £220, told to pay costs of £562 and given a victim surcharge of £34.

Since we started the Don’t Trash Oldham campaign in September last year, we’ve fined 231 people for environmental crimes and also successfully prosecuted another 17 in court.

Councillor Amanda Chadderton, Deputy Leader of Oldham Council and Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, said: “People should take pride in their communities and look after them – they aren’t dumping grounds.

“We are sick to death of people littering, dumping waste and fly-tipping.

“Residents feel the same way and that’s why we launched Don’t Trash Oldham – to clean up the borough but also take action against lazy people and criminals who think they can dump rubbish and get away with it.

“If you see people dumping rubbish, report it to us. We’ll investigate and if we find enough evidence, we’ll take action, like we have done in this case.”

To report fly-tipping and litter and to learn more about Don’t Trash Oldham visit https://www.oldham.gov.uk/donttrasholdham

News archive Oldham Council news RSS feed