3. Booster jabs
COVID-19 booster vaccine doses are now available to help improve the protection you have from your first 2 doses of the vaccine.
Who can get a COVID-19 booster jab?
Booster vaccines are available on the NHS for people most at risk from COVID-19 who have already had 2 doses of a vaccine. Frontline health or social care workers can also book their COVID-19 booster vaccinations.
The full list of those eligible includes:
- people aged 50 and over
- people who live and work in care homes
- frontline health and social care workers
- people aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts them at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
- carers aged 16 and over
- people aged 16 and over who live with someone who is more likely to get infections (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis)
- frontline health or social care workers
People who are pregnant and in 1 of the eligible groups can also get a booster dose.
How and when to get your COVID-19 booster vaccine
You'll be offered a booster dose at least 6 months after you had your 2nd dose.
The NHS will let you know when it's your turn to have a booster dose. It's important not to contact the NHS for one before then.
Most people will be invited to book an appointment at a larger vaccination centre, pharmacy, or local NHS service such as a GP surgery.
Frontline health or social care workers can book a booster dose appointment online. You do not need to wait to be contacted by the NHS.
People who work for an NHS trust or a care home will usually get their booster dose through their employer.
Who can book online
You can book your COVID-19 booster vaccine dose online if you are a frontline health or social care worker.
You can also book your booster dose online if you have been contacted by the NHS and you are either:
- aged 50 and over
- aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts you at high risk from COVID-19
If you are not a frontline health or social care worker, please wait to be contacted by the NHS before booking your booster dose.
Yet to have your first or second vaccine?
Get protected from the virus now by booking yourself in or visiting a walk-in site near you: