2. Self-isolation and shielding
What to do if your child has symptoms of coronavirus or has had a positive test
Your child should not come into school if they, or someone in their household or support bubble, have coronavirus symptoms or have tested positive in the last 10 days.
You must self-isolate immediately if:
- you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
- you've tested positive for coronavirus
- you live with someone who has symptoms or tested positive
- someone in your support bubble has symptoms or tested positive
- you're told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace (including by a school or setting who has been advised by contact tracers) or the NHS COVID-19 app
- you arrive in the UK from a country with a high coronavirus risk (regardless of a negative test result before departure or on arrival)
If your child has been asked to self-isolate because their school ‘bubble’ has a positive case they need to do so for 10 days.
This means they should stay inside and do any work set for them by their school.
Advice for people at highest risk of coronavirus
Children who are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable can continue to attend school or college unless your GP or Clinician has advised you not to.
Looking after your child's mental health
- Young minds - Ying Minds website
- NSPCC - returning to school - NSPCCwebsite
- Childrens Society (Support for mental and emotional well-being) - Children'sSociety website
- GOV.UK - Guidance for parents and carers on supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- Tog mind - Tameside, Oldham and Glossop Mind website
Other online resources
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust - Free resources for schools and families about emotional about mental and emotional wellbeing
- kooth.com - Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people
- Headspace.com - Free online support for mindfulness and meditation
If you have any queries please email: