In September 2019, Ofsted and the CQC visited Oldham to see what improvements Oldham Council, NHS Oldham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and the SEND Oldham Partnership had made to services for children with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) since their last inspection in 2017.
After the inspection in 2017, Ofsted and the CQC told us that:
- There was a lack of effective leadership and joint partnership in leading, developing and evaluating the reforms.
- Illegal practice may be happening in Oldham.
- Transport arrangements for children and young people who have SEND were defective.
- The EHC process was dysfunctional and the quality of plans was inadequate.
- Children and young people with SEND underachieved considerably and had high rates of fixed-term exclusions and persistent absence.
Ofsted and the CQC asked us to produce a plan called a written statement of action to outline what we were going to do to improve.
Ofsted and the CQC re-visited Oldham between September 23-25, 2019 to see what progress we'd made.
Oldham has made sufficient enough progress with regards to transport arrangements; the Local Offer and any illegal practice has been resolved. However, ongoing work is taking place to address fixed-term exclusions and persistent absenteeism, as well as further improvement into the quality of the EHC process.
Inspectors spoke with children and young people with special educational needs
and/or disabilities (SEND), parents and carers, and local authority and National
Health Service (NHS) officers during the revisit. We’d like to thank the 200+ parents and carers, and young people, who contributed to the revisit.
Both Ofsted and the CQC made comments on the positive working relationships across the partnership and the improvements made. We’re dedicated to ensuring our children and young people with SEND are:
- safe and supported
- as healthy and happy as they can
- having the opportunities and achieve their potential
- having a voice and be part of a community
- feeling proud and ready for life