Construction of driveway | Dropped kerbs | Oldham Council

2. Construction of driveway

Please do not construct your driveway until all relevant permissions have been obtained as your application may not be successful.

Once all permissions have been obtained you may proceed with construction.

Please ensure that your driveway meets Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDs) guidance or that you have the relevant planning permission.

Constructing a driveway out of loose materials can be one way of achieving this, however loose materials, such as gravel or mud from a driveway could easily be deposited onto a highway could put highway users at risk.

It is also an offence under Section 161 of the Highways Act to deposit anything on a highway that could endanger highway users.

In order to protect highway users, we will not proceed with the construction of a vehicle crossing until you have a properly constructed driveway, including the provision to prevent loose materials from being carried from your property onto the highway.

In most cases a half-metre strip of hard standing (e.g. tarmac, concrete or block paving) across the full width of the driveway at the property boundary will be sufficient to prevent gravel from being carried onto the highway, however, to prevent mud, no part of the wheels may come into contact with any loose soil or mud.

If you wish to retain grass for aesthetic or SUDs purposes, it will be necessary to prevent mud from being dragged onto the highway. Reinforced grass may be used, or a strip of grass between two-wheel tracks.

In all cases, the full width of the driveway must consist of solid construction at the property boundary to provide a fixed edge, that we can work to when constructing the vehicle crossing.

Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDs)

SUDs guidance promotes allowing water to naturally soak away into the ground rather than enter into drainage systems.

When constructing a parking area of more than 5 square metres it will be necessary to either use a permeable form of construction or obtain planning permission from the Council. This requirement was introduced to reduce the risk of flooding, by allowing more water to soak away into people's gardens.

Furthermore, it can be an offence under Section 163(1) of the Highways Act 1980 to allow surface water from private land to flow onto or over the footway of the highway.

For further information please refer to the Guidance on the Permeable Surfacing of Front Gardens which is available to download from the government website:


You will have to pay for the construction costs of the work, which must be done by the council.

The cost for dropped kerbs varies and each application is priced individually after a site visit.

Issues that can affect costs include the width of the footway, the length (number of kerbs) of the crossing, whether a grass verge has to be crossed or whether any street furniture or other apparatus needs moving (where possible) or adjusting.

If there is a lamppost in the way then you will need to contact street lighting to see whether or not it can be moved and what the costs involved would be.

The cost of other highway assets that need adjusting or moving will be included in the quotation provided to you, but it will not include any items of street furniture or service apparatus that are owned by a third party (e.g. utilities).

If there is any third-party apparatus in the way you will need to liaise with the relevant party and meet any of their costs separately from the works carried out by the Council.

Quotes and site inspection 

The site must be assessed by an inspector. 

Quotes for vehicle crossings or dropped kerbs cannot be given over the phone.

An inspector will visit your property to assess your application.

Your application will be considered according to the criteria set out in the council’s Light Duty Vehicle Crossings policy.

If your application is successful, you will be sent a quotation for the cost of the work along with payment instructions should you decide to go ahead with construction.

Apply for a light duty vehicle crossing

Oldham Council currently charges a non-refundable administration fee of £51.70 for Light Duty Vehicle Crossing (LDVC) applications.

This fee covers the costs of time spent on processing the application and the assessment of your property, which apply whether or not your application is successful.

Please check that your property meets the criteria, before applying for an LDVC to avoid any disappointment, as this fee will not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful.

If your property meets the criteria you may apply for a light duty vehicle crossing by emailing the Highways Team: