The District of Royton is made up of the wards of Royton North and Royton South. It includes Royton Town Centre with a busy market and a wide variety of local shops and amenities.
Royton and its surroundings have provided evidence of ancient British, Roman and Viking activity in the area.
How decisions are made about your neighbourhood
All the elected members for the Royton District Wards regularly come together as the District Executive to discuss and make decisions about things that affect local people.
The District Executive sets the local priorities in the District Plan, and works closely with services and partners to achieve these priorities.
Its led by the District Executive Chair, who is supported by the Vice Chair. The Chair and Vice Chair champion the interests of the district at a borough-wide level and support many important events and initiatives throughout the district.
- Royton District Chair: Cllr. Clint Phythian
Meet with the District Executive
District Executive meetings are open to the public to come and observe. You can also submit questions to your elected members to be answered at the District Executive meeting. The minutes and agendas of these meetings are all available on-line.
If you would like to submit a question to the District Executive you can do so by letter, email or in person at any time before noon, two clear working days before the meeting. Please see the published agenda for further details.
Challenge a decision made by the District Executive
If you disagree with a decision made by your District Executive, you can collect 100 signatures to force the Overview and Scrutiny Committee to review the decision.
There are some exceptions, details available in the petition template.
Priorities for Royton
- To inspire the next phase of the regeneration of Royton Town Centre through the renovation of the Town Hall and creating a brand new fit for purpose library.
- Work with private and public sector partners to support the growth and development of District Centre and be part of the Mayor’s Town Centre Challenge.
- Building on our unique heritage and working with partners to make Royton a thriving place to live, work and socialise.
- Promoting volunteering opportunities and community organisations so residents can get involved in the community and do their bit
- Increasing the use of our outdoor spaces
- Work with the partners to engage positively with young people and reduce anti-social behaviour
- Provide opportunities in Royton for residents to take control and improve their own health for example through support to local sports and park clubs.
- Support the growth and development of voluntary groups and work with new and developing voluntary groups
Takes place in Royton Precinct every Thursday, 9am - 4pm
Love where you live
Love where you live is about everybody doing their bit to help make Oldham a great place to live.
Your District Team
Your District Team works at district level to improve the neighbourhoods they serve. The team is led by a District Co-ordinator who works with a wide range of services and organisations to meet the unique needs of the District.
To contact your District Team:
- 0161 770 3850
Your District Co-ordinator is Liz Fryman
Councillors and ward surgeries
Find out who your local Councillors are:
Councillors hold regular ward surgeries where you can discuss any issues in your neighbourhood.
Ward profiles show economic and social data for an area.
Find us on Facebook!
- Royton and Shaw - Greater Manchester Police website
School governor vacancies
- Blackshaw Lane Primary School - 2 Community
- St Pauls CE Primary School - 1 Authority and 1 Foundation PCC
- Thorp Primary School - 1 Authority and 2 Community