Register a death

When to register

A death should be registered within 5 days. However, if there is going to be an investigation into the cause of death this might not be possible.

How to register

A death must normally be registered in the district where it occurred.

You will need to make an appointment.

If you have to go to any other register office, the details will be sent to the correct register office and the documentation will be sent to you.

Please bring proof of your identity and the identity of the deceased, for example passport, driving licence, a utility bill or a marriage certificate.

Who should register

The death can be registered by:

  • Any relative of the person who has died
  • A person who was present at the death
  • The occupier of the place where the death took place, if he or she was aware that the death had taken place
  • Any person arranging the funeral – but not the funeral director

What information will I need to give the register office?

The register office will talk to you in private. You will be asked some questions about the person who has died so that the details can be recorded in the register.

You will need to know:

  • The date and place of death
  • The full first name and surname of the person who has died (and the maiden surname if the person was a married woman). Also if the name had been changed at any time.
  • The date and place of birth
  • The occupation (if the person who has died was a married woman or a widow, the full name and occupation of her husband)
  • The last usual address

Other information will also be asked for but will not be recorded in the register:

  • The type of industry the person who has died had worked in (and whether or not they had been a manager)
  • If the person who has died was married, the date of birth of the widow or widower
  • Whether the person had a pension from any public funds

If possible please bring documents with you to confirm the details to be recorded about the person who has died are correct such as a marriage/civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, passport, utility bill.

What papers will I need?

You must give a medical certificate of the cause of death from the doctor to the register office.

If you need to tell the coroner about the death, the doctor or hospital will do this for you. The coroner’s office will tell you what to do. You might need to wait before you can register the death.

What papers will the register office give to me?

The register office will give you a green form. You need this form to make the funeral arrangements and you should give it to the funeral director.

If the coroner dealt with the death you might be given a different form.

You will also be given a white form for social security.

Both the green form and the white form are free.

You might need to buy a copy of the death certificate (there is a reduced fee on the day you register) from the registry office for:

  • Probate or letters of administration
  • Bank or building society accounts
  • Insurance companies
  • Stocks and shares
  • Pension funds
  • Solicitors

Oldham Register Office
Chadderton Town Hall
Middleton Road
Oldham, OL9 6PP
Tel 0161 770 8960
Fax 0161 770 3729

Tell us once - Deaths

When you register a death, you can ask us to tell other government departments so you don't have to contact them yourself.

Tell us once