6. Accommodation

Accommodation and the ability to cope with independent living is one of the biggest concerns for many young people leaving care.

We are here to help you find suitable accommodation that best meets your needs. We work closely with First Choice Homes, local housing associations and supported accommodation providers.

We will also work with you and local support agencies to make sure that you are offered the support you need to sustain your accommodation.

What options are available to me?

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you could remain in residential care or foster care, or move into semi-independence units or supported flats. However to help you prepare for independence, tenancy training is encouraged through practical tasks set or formal training.

If you are 18 years old, you could stay living with your foster carer in a staying put agreement (if everyone agrees).

Supported lodgings are also an option for young people living in the community and there is hostel accommodation available should a young person need this.

To discuss any of the options above, please contact your after care social worker on 0161 770 6598 or email careleavers@oldham.gov.uk