Job titles explained | Job titles explained | Oldham Council
Job title Explanation
Advocate Someone who can speak on your behalf, express your views and wishes, and ensure that your rights, concerns and needs are acted upon.
Artist An artist is a person engaged in an activity related to creating art, practicing the arts, or someone who paints, draws, or makes sculptures.
Author An author is the creator or originator of any written work such as a book or play and is also considered a writer.
Chiropodist A person who treats the feet and their ailments.
Communication support worker (CSW) A Communication support worker enables access to communication, using a variety of support strategies and communication modes to match individuals' needs and preferences.
Community paediatrician A community paediatrician is a specialist doctor who can assess your child's needs. As well as advising you about health matters, this doctor may discuss with you concerns about possible learning problems.
Dentist A person who is qualified to treat diseases and other conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones.
Designated Clinical Officer (DCO)

The Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) supports NHS Oldham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to meet its statutory responsibilities for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. In partnership with the LA SEN team, the DCO agrees any health services that are indicated within a child or young person’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

The Designated Clinical Officer:

is a point of contact for local partners, when talking to parents and the local authority about children and young people they believe have or may have SEN or a disability offers advice on SEN or disabilities provides health advice to local authorities, schools and colleges about children and young people with SEN or Disabilities provides a contact for the CCG or health providers so that appropriate notification can be given to the local authority of children under 5 years who they think may have SEN or a disability.

Doctor A physician, medical practitioner, medical who practises medicine, which is concerned with promoting, maintaining, or restoring health through the study, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of mental impairment.
Educational psychologist Educational psychologists work within local authorities, in partnership with families and other professionals, to help children and young people achieve their full potential. They use their training in psychology and knowledge of child development to overcome mental, physical, emotional and social difficulties.
Health Visitors Health visitors are registered nurses/midwives who have additional training in community public health nursing. They provide a professional public health based on best evidence of what works for individuals, families, groups and communities; enhancing health and reducing health inequalities through a proactive, universal service for all children 0 – 5 years old and for vulnerable populations targeted according to need. Pre – school children and their families are a key focus.
Key worker A key worker can act as a central point of contact for professionals working with your family and share information where necessary.
Lawyer A lawyer or attorney is a person who practice law as an advocate, attorney, attorney at law, barrister, barrister at law.
Librarian A person in charge of or assisting professionally in a library, providing access to information and sometimes.
Midwife Midwives provide care and support to women and their families while pregnant, throughout labour and during the period after a baby’s birth.
Registered Nurse A registered nurse is a person trained to provide care to people with health conditions. This can be in hospital, health centres and community settings including the patient’s home.
Paediatric occupational therapist Paediatric occupational therapists specialise in working with children. They carry out assessments to see if your child would benefit from using specialist equipment like adapted cups, buggies or chairs and provide advice on lifting and handling your child safely.
Pharmacist Pharmacist, also known as chemists or druggists, are health professionals who practice in pharmacy, the field of health sciences focusing on safe and effective medication use.
Podiatrist Podiatrist are healthcare professionals who have been trained to diagnose and treat abnormal conditions of the feet and toenails like fungal or ingrown toenails.
School nurse School nurse are qualified and registered nurses or midwives many of whom have chosen to gain additional experience, training and qualifications to become specialist community public health nurses (SCPHN – SN). Their additional training in public health helps them to support children and young people in making healthy lifestyle choices, enabling them to reach their full potential and enjoy life.
Social Worker Child and family social workers protect vulnerable children and support families in need of assistance. Social workers help and solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives.
Special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) A SENCO is a member of staff at a nursery, playgroup or school who co-ordinate.
Surgeon  A physician who treats disease, injury, or deformity via operative or manual methods. These are called surgical operations.
Teacher A teacher is a person who helps others to acquire knowledge, competence or virtue or inspiration to live.
Writer A writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate their ideas.