1960s - Modest beginnings
The Oldham Schools' Music Service began life in the 1960s with £100 and four brass instruments.
A Music Organiser was appointed and a Music Centre was established in the College of Commerce in Oldham.
Choral and brass music were the main features of the early days. Gradually, string and woodwind teaching followed.
In September 1968, the Music Centre transferred to an old Board School building on the outskirts of town. The Music Service developed four distinct areas - Brass and Percussion, Woodwind, Strings and Choral.
1970s - Further growth
In the 1970s and 1980s, the Music Centre owned it's own building - unfortunately with poor acoustics (which often made the timetabling of rehearsals a difficult exercise!).
1980s - A move to the Lyceum BuildingMusic was first taught at the Lyceum as early as 1892.
In 1989 the Music Service moved back into the Lyceum Building and it has been its home ever since.
The new building provided the staff and students of the Centre with excellent accommodation.
The rear of the building has been totally remodelled to give pleasant waiting areas for staff, students and parents.
On the ground floor there is a recital room for small ensembles/soloists to perform for an audience of up to 125.
A harpsichord and Steinway grand are available for performances.
Two large rehearsal rooms are also located on the ground floor as well as a staff room.
The original foyer, complete with Victorian glass window and double staircase, leads to the upper floors where the main administrative suite and rehearsal hall are located.
Extra rooms provide a further sixteen teaching studios, all fully carpeted and equipped with good quality pianos.