We will be offering a limited service to visitors who need access to our collections for their research. Visitors will be required to book their visit and pre-order their documents, including archives, books, pamphlets, and microfilms in advance, using our online form below.
Visitors only wishing to use computers will also be required to book in advance using the online form below.
Our building and services will look different, in line with government guidelines, to keep visitors and staff safe. These include:
- New document delivery processes to protect visitors and staff and to ensure that documents are quarantined appropriately
- One-way systems and capacity controls
- Floor markers and temporary signage to help with social distancing
- Rigorous cleaning during and at the end of each day
- Provision of hand sanitiser.
Unfortunately, we will not be able to allow anyone to enter the building, who has not pre-booked. Therefore, please do not travel if you have not been able to book.
We will only be able to provide access to our search room. Our other facilities will remain closed, including the public toilet.
We will also be unable to provide many of our other usual search room services, including record copying, use of maps and photographs, and casual access to our computers.
No browsing of our collections will be allowed, including the books on the shelves. No information hand-outs will be available in hard copy but they may be freely downloaded from our website:
Oldham Local Studies and Archives is open to visitors
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 10am–5pm
Please follow these simple steps to book your visit with us and help us to keep everyone safe.
- Use our online booking and registration form to secure a slot and order the documents, microfilm, pamphlets or maps etc you would like to see
- Should you want to only book a computer with us, please use the same online registration form
- If you experience any difficulties completing the online form please do not hesitate to contact us either via telephone or email
- If for any reason you need to cancel or delay your visit, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can assign your slot to another visitor
If you are unable to visit in person you may wish to make use of our Research Service.
Our online catalogue to all Oldham Council Heritage Collections continues to be available at:
- Heritage Collection - online catalogue
As well as being able to search our collections on this catalogue, many of our photographs can also be viewed there.