Archives are unique, original documents created in the course of everyday activities.
Oldham's archives date from 1597 and cover an enormous range of subjects and activities:
- Hospital records
- Poor Law Union records
- Coroners Court records
- Local Authority records including Chadderton, Crompton, Failsworth, Lees, Oldham, Royton and Saddleworth
- Schools and education records
- Records for statutory bodies like the police force
- Church and religious records
- Business records
- Solicitors and estate agents records
- Trade unions and associations records
- Co-operative Society records
- Sports, entertainment and leisure records
- Personal, family and property records
- Society and Association records
- Records of Oldham communities
Catalogues listing what we hold can be found on the following websites although none of these sites offers a comprehensive list.
Some of our catalogues are only available in paper format so if you cannot find what you are looking for email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oldham Council Heritage Collections
As well as a selection of archive catalogues it includes catalogues for local studies, social history, natural history, art and fine art collections held in Oldham.
- Search our collections - Gallery Oldham website
a searchable website which allows users to find information about documents, books, maps, photographs and more held by archives and local history libraries within Greater Manchester.
Access to Archives
The A2A database contains catalogues describing archives held locally in England and Wales and dating from the eighth century to the present day. This site includes a selection of catalogues from Oldham.