Archives are unique, original documents created in the course of everyday activities.
Oldham's archives date from 1597 and cover an enormous range of subjects and activities:
- Hospital records
- Poor Law Union records
- Coroners Court records
- Local Authority records including Chadderton, Crompton, Failsworth, Lees, Oldham, Royton and Saddleworth
- Schools and education records
- Records for statutory bodies like the police force
- Church and religious records
- Business records
- Solicitors and estate agents records
- Trade unions and associations records
- Co-operative Society records
- Sports, entertainment and leisure records
- Personal, family and property records
- Society and Association records
- Records of Oldham communities
Catalogues listing what we hold can be found on the following websites although none of these sites offers a comprehensive list.
Some of our catalogues are only available in paper format so if you cannot find what you are looking for email email@example.com.
Oldham Council Heritage Collections
As well as a selection of archive catalogues it includes catalogues for local studies, social history, natural history, art and fine art collections held in Oldham.
- Search our collections - Gallery Oldham website
a searchable website which allows users to find information about documents, books, maps, photographs and more held by archives and local history libraries within Greater Manchester.
Access to Archives
The A2A database contains catalogues describing archives held locally in England and Wales and dating from the eighth century to the present day. This site includes a selection of catalogues from Oldham.
Please follow these simple steps to book your visit with us and help us to keep everyone safe.
- Use our online booking and registration form to secure a slot and order the documents, microfilm, pamphlets or maps etc you would like to see
- Users of computers need only complete our online user registration form
- If you experience any difficulties completing the online form please do not hesitate to contact us either via telephone or email
- If for any reason you need to cancel or delay your visit, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can assign your slot to another visitor
Other archives may be closed due to their fragile condition, or because they contain confidential information.