2. Housing Register Application checklist
To apply for social housing you:
- Must be over 18 (or have a guarantor if you are 16 or 17 years old)
- A UK resident and not subject to immigration control
When you make an application you will be asked to provide your:
- National Insurance Number
- Your Annual Income
- Employer details
- Landlords contact details
The Council will need your permission to contact your landlord(s), support workers and advocates to ask for references.
You can provide your permission to do this by completing and uploading the Authority to Disclose to your application:
- Authority to Disclose (.PDF)
Proof of Identification
You must provide proof of identification for yourself, and everyone named on your application, including children.
You can provide either one of the following:
- Permanent residence e.g., Proof of Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- A biometric ‘residence permit’ card issued by the Home Office.
- A full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK. (For children under the age of 18, this will be accepted as proof of ID without the requirement to provide a second document)
Or two of the following:
- A valid full or provisional photo card UK driving licence.
- A full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK
- A letter issued by a UK government department or Local Authority, signed by a named official (inc. their name and professional address), confirming the holder's name.
- A letter from the DWP clearly showing your National Insurance Number and the benefits you receive.
Proof of Income
Proof of Income must be provided for everyone over 18 named on your application.
You can provide any of the following:
- Payslips covering the last 3 months if paid monthly or the last 6 weeks’ if paid weekly.
- Proof of DWP benefits (ESA, UC, Tax Credits, Pension etc) you receive.
Where applicable you must also provide:
- Proof of volunteering, including the number of hours and where you volunteer.
- Proof of carer, including who you provide care for.
- Confirmation of service in the Armed Forces.
Proof of Bank account
You must provide proof that you hold a current bank account that allows Direct Debit payments to be made from it.
Proof of your current address
We will only accept a Bank Statement or Utility bill dated within the last 3 months as proof of your current address.
Proof of your address history
If you, or anyone over the age of 18 named on your application has not lived at your current address for more than 5 years, you will need to provide proof of address for the last 5 years:
- Full addresses; and
- Landlord details for each address
We need this information to request references from your landlord(s).
If you have children that live with you, you must provide proof of Child Benefit paid to you for each of your children.
If you are a homeowner, you must provide a mortgage statement clearly showing any amount outstanding or confirmation that the mortgage has been paid.
If you, or anyone named on your application are pregnant, you must provide proof of pregnancy.
This can be any of the following that clearly shows your name and baby’s due date:
- Screenshot of Badger notes.
- A letter from your GP or consultant.
- A photograph of your green book
- MAT B1 form issued from the hospital
Immigration/EU Settlement Status
Biometric Residents Permit for the UK (Front and back).
If you do not have a permit you can apply for one on the GOV.UK website:
- Biometric residence permits - GOV.UK website
Medical need to move
If you have a medical reason to move, please provide any information from your GP, consultant, or social worker that supports any medical need to move.