Paying for reablement services | What will I have to pay for care services? | Oldham Council

4. Paying for reablement services

Reablement, recovery and rehabilitation services offer short term help or support in your home or in the community for up to 6 weeks to get you back on your feet after illness, an accident, a hospital stay or some other incident.

The aim is to help you learn or re-learn how to do things for yourself, or to help you get your strength back, so you can remain as independent as possible.

Charges which may apply 

Although the council won’t charge you for the reablement service for up to 6 weeks, if you already receive services from us you will need to continue to pay your existing charge for these services.

If reablement services aren’t available or aren’t suitable for you, we’ll talk to you about how your social care needs can be met and what this might cost.

What happens after 6 weeks?

If we have assessed that you will need social care services or support for longer than 6 weeks, we will talk to you about what type of services might suit you and how much they will cost.

This support might be provided in your home, in the community, or in a residential care home.

What will I have to pay?

The Council will not charge you for reablement type services for up to 6 weeks.

If you need a reablement, recovery or rehabilitation service for longer than 6 weeks, you may have to pay for it. We will decide how much we can contribute towards the cost of any extra service. This will depend on your financial circumstances.

We will need to work out if you can afford to pay for any of the social care services you need. The amount you pay will depend on your financial circumstances.

We will ask you to complete a financial assessment. The form will ask questions about your income, any savings you have and certain household costs you have to pay, such as your mortgage or rent payments and costs for Council Tax.  We will use this information to calculate if you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your social care services.


If you would like to speak to someone about financial assessments you can contact the Client Finance Team,