Paying for care or support at home or in your community | What will I have to pay for care services? | Oldham Council

1. Paying for care or support at home or in your community

Paying for care or support at home or in your community 

Once you have had your needs assessment and are eligible for support we will work out how much you might have to pay towards your care and support. We will need to work out if you can afford to pay for any of the social care services you need. The amount you pay will depend on your financial circumstances. 

We will ask you to complete a financial assessment. In the assessment we will ask questions about your income, any savings you have and certain household costs you have to pay, such as your mortgage or rent payments and costs for Council Tax. We will use this information to calculate if you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your social care services. 

How much will I have to pay? 

When the assessment is complete, we will contact you to confirm how much your contribution will be. All the information you provide remains confidential and is only used for the purpose of calculating your contribution. 

What if I don't want a financial assessment? 

If you choose not to have a financial assessment you will be asked to pay the maximum charge for the services you receive. Deprivation of assets You must not give away any of your income, savings, investments, property or any other assets in order to avoid paying social care charges. If you do, we will assume you still have them when working out what you should pay. Continuing Health Care If you have complex, ongoing health care needs, the NHS may pay for some or all of your care. 



If you would like to speak to someone about financial assessments you can contact the Client Finance Team,