Health and social care benefits | Health and social care benefits | Oldham Council

These benefits are managed and paid by central government.

For more information please use the links below that take you to the relevant pages on

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need someone to help look after them because they are physically or mentally disabled. Find out if you are eligible and how to claim.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

    Personal Independence Payment (replacing Disability Living Allowance)

    The Personal Independence Payment is for disabled people aged 16 to 64.

    Employment and Support Allowance

    Employment and Support Allowance replaces Incapacity Benefit and Income Support that is paid because of an illness or disability for new claimants from 27 October 2008. If you are already receiving Incapacity Benefit, you will continue to get it as long as you are eligible.

    Help with health costs

    Most National Health Service (NHS) treatment is free but there can be charges for some things. You may be able to get help with NHS health costs if for example you're on a low income.

    Incapacity Benefit

    If you can't work because of illness or disability you may be able to get Incapacity Benefit (IB), a weekly payment for people under State Pension age.