Christmas opening hours

Many public services and facilities run by the council and partners will be affected during the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Christmas opening hours

If you are an owner of a business in Oldham and feel the rateable value of your business is incorrect, then you can appeal against it.

Appeals against a rateable value should be made directly to the Valuation Office Agency who will advise you how to appeal against your rateable value or property description. Appeals may be made against the valuation of the property either for physical alterations or environmental factors.   

Until an appeal is settled with the Valuation Office Agency, business rates must be paid on the existing rateable value of your assessment.

Further information on appeals can be obtained from:

The Valuation Office Agency
Portland Tower
Portland Street
M1 3LD
Telephone 03000 501501

Anti-avoidance legislation

If property is damaged in order to avoid paying rates, the Valuation Office will be required to disregard the change in the property’s state when assessing its rateable value.

For instance, if the roof is removed from an empty property for the purpose of avoiding rates, it may be valued as if the roof had not been removed and rates would still be payable.

Rating Advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill.

And you can make an appeal against rateable values for free.

If you want to hire a professional service,  members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV - website ) are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct.

Before you employ a Rating Adviser, you should check that they have the necessary expertise, and indemnity insurance.

Seek further advice before entering into any contract