Council Tax discounts
Annexes occupied by a dependent relative
If a dependent relative lives in an annexe which forms part of your main home, the annexe is exempt from Council Tax.
A relative is dependent if they are:
- Aged 65+ or
- Severely mentally impaired
- Substantially and permanently disabled
A relative is:
- The spouse of that person
- The person's parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece or is the parent or child or such a person
- A relationship by marriage shall be treated as a relationship by blood
- A relationship between a man and a woman living together as husband and wife shall be treated as a relationship by marriage
- The stepchild of a person shall be treated as his child.
If an annexe becomes unoccupied and cannot be let separately due to planning restrictions, it is exempt from council tax.
Family annexe discount
If an annexe is being used by the occupier of the main building or by another family member, you may be eligible for a 50% discount.If you think you may be entitled to an exemption or discount, contact our council tax team