Council Tax discounts


If only students live at the address, you may be eligible for an exemption (so there will be no Council Tax to pay at all).

Full-time students

In Council Tax law, ‘student’ means ‘full-time student’. You must be enrolled with a ‘prescribed educational establishment’ and your course must be one of the following:

  • A course which lasts at least one academic or calendar year and which requires you to undertake at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, or
  • A course which is not higher education, which lasts for more than 3 calendar months and requires you to undertake more than 12 hours of study. (you must be under 20 if on this type of course)

An exemption from Council Tax can only be granted if all the people living in a property are full-time students.

If there is one person who is not a student, only a 25% discount can be granted.

If there are 2 people who are not students, no discount can be granted at all.

Student nurses

You may get a discount if the student nurse is:

  • Employed as a student nurse but taking a course which will lead to registration on any of Parts 1 to 6, or Part 8, of the nursing Register, and this will be their first inclusion on that Register; or
  • Not employed as a nurse but taking a nursing degree or diploma course and getting a student grant or scholarship.

Non-British spouses of full-time students

If a full-time student has a non-British husband or wife or civil partner who holds a visa, you may be eligible for a discount, but it depends on the terms of their visa.

To get the discount, the visa must prevent the person from:

  • Taking paid employment in the UK or
  • Claiming benefits in the UK

The discount may also apply to dependants, and to those who are not married but are living together as husband and wife or civil partners.

If a person gets the discount and is the only non-student living at an address where all the other residents are students, an exemption will apply (this means there will be no Council Tax to pay at all).


Apprentices may be disregarded if they are employed to learn a job and, as part of that learning, they are undertaking training leading to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications.

They must be paid no more than £195 per week and expect to earn substantially more when they qualify.

Apply for a student-related discount or exemption

Pick up a form from the Council Tax Team at Access Oldham

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must tell the Council of any change of circumstance which affects your entitlement within 21 days. If you fail to do so you may be required to pay a penalty.

Council Tax Team
Access Oldham
Level 4, Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham, OL1 1UG
Tel 0161 770 6622