Council Tax discounts


You can get a discount if you are:
  • Providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average
  • Living with and caring for someone who has a disability, who is not your spouse/partner or child under 18, but who is entitled to one of the the following benefits:
    • Middle or higher rate of the care component of disability living allowance
    • Attendance Allowance
    • The highest rate of disablement pension
    • An increase in a constant attendance allowance

Care workers

You can get a discount if you are:

  • Providing care or support through a connection with the Crown, a charity or a local authority, and
  • Employed for a least 24 hours a week, and
  • Paid no more than £44 per week, and
  • Resident where the care is given or in premises which have been provided for the better performance of the work

Apply for a carer or care worker discount

  • Carers claim form
  • Or you can pick one up from the Council Tax Team at Access Oldham

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must tell the Council of any change of circumstance which affects your entitlement within 21 days.  If you fail to do so you may be required to pay a penalty.

Council Tax Team
Access Oldham
Level 4, Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham, OL1 1UG
Tel 0161 770 6622