Oldham's Independent Quarter
We’re investing £1 million to help independent businesses revitalise an area of Oldham’s town centre with massive potential - we’re calling it Oldham’s Independent Quarter.
What is Oldham’s Independent Quarter?
The Independent Quarter is the area between Yorkshire Street, Clegg Street and Union Street (East).
The vision for Oldham's Independent Quarter is to create a modern 'high street' with its very own, individual offer. A place with a strong identity and distinctiveness, that will:
- Improve the town's offer - with a great range of independent businesses and shops that compliment the high street favourites nearby
- Attract more people to the town - increasing footfall as people choose to shop, spend their leisure time and work in Oldham
- Provide an attractive link between major developments, such as the Old Town Hall Cinema and the new Mumps Metrolink stop
Free support for businesses in the Independent Quarter
If you are an independent business owner in the Independent Quarter (or would like to be!) you can take advantage of a wide range of free services to help you.
Get in touch to find out about:
- Your Council contact - Someone to help you progress your ideas
- Building Improvement Grants - Including frontage improvements for both retail and commercial premises
- Equipment support - Help to purchase essential business equipment
- Equity grants - Help to purchase property in the area
- Bespoke business support - Including 1-2-1s and workshops suitable for start-ups, SMEs, and established businesses
- Recruitment support - Help to attract and retain staff through free advertising, interview support, wage subsidies and access to Oldham's Enterprise Fund
- Mentoring and training - Specialist training to suit your business needs, plus mentoring and support from experienced business people
- Flexible occupancy agreements - For independent traders wanting to lease Council-owned buildings in the area
- Supply chain and networking opportunities - Introductions to relevant businesses, and invitations to business networking events
Who can get support?
Support is available to help new and existing independent business to set up or grow their business in Oldham's Independent Quarter.
We don't have a fixed definition of 'Independent Businesses', so we're keen to hear from a wide range of businesses, not just retailers.
So if you're an interesting independent company or start-up in the creative or digital sectors, healthcare, professional services, or anything else, give us a call.
More support for local businesses