Self-funding your care and support services

A self-funder is the term we give to someone who pays the full cost for their own care and support services. This may be because: 

  • You have chosen not to approach adult social care services for help with your care and support needs; or 
  • You have been assessed by the adult social care team but are not currently eligible for Care & Support services; or 
  • You have been assessed by our adult social care team as being eligible for care and support services but you have savings or assets above the self-funding threshold set by the government. 


Money threshold 

The current threshold set by the Government is £23,250. If you have £23,250 or more in capital, savings, or assets, you will be expected to pay the full cost of your care and support services. 

Help from the Council

As a self-funder, you are still entitled to apply for an assessment of your care and support needs. We will look at your specific needs and identify services which can help you. We can also conduct a financial assessment to see if you are eligible for any council funded care and support services, or are likely to become eligible in future. 

Charges for services

After your assessment, you will have a choice about how you want to purchase your care and support services. You can do this yourself or if you are are going to receive services at home or in the community you may ask us to arrange these services for you. 

If you ask us to arrange your care and support services there will be an initial arrangement fee of £37 of which you will be invoiced for this cost at the start of your services, and then an annual arrangement fee of £59.80 invoiced at £4.60 every 4 weeks. 

The benefit of asking the Council to purchase your care for you is that we will manage the contractual arrangements with the provider on your behalf and you are able to access services at our commissioned cost. These costs maybe lower than when you purchase the care directly from the provider. 


If you would like to speak to someone you can contact the Brokerage and Payments Team, Adult Social Care, on 0161 770 1172 or email