Complaints about services for children and families | Complaints about services for children and families | Oldham Council
Sunday 11 December - online and telephone payments unavailable

Between 6am and 11am, our online and telephone payment systems will not be available, due to essential maintenance work. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

The Council is committed to providing quality services but we do recognise that on occasion things may go wrong.

If you are unhappy with the service you have received or wish to make a formal complaint about one of our services, you are able to do this either on line, in writing, by telephone or in person.

We would also like to hear from you if you have a suggestion, comment or wish to tell us about something we have done well.

How to make a complaint

In the first instance you should contact the manager of the service you would like to complain about, and most concerns and complaints can be resolved this way.

If however you do not know who the manager of the service is, if you have any questions regarding the complaint process, or if you need some support to make a complaint then you are able to contact the Senior Children’s Complaints Officer who can assist you and you can contact them in the following ways:

In writing: 

Senior Children’s Complaints Officer
Oldham Council
Level 12, Civic Centre
West Street

Some services like Children’s Homes are inspected and regulated by Ofsted, and comments, compliments or complaints about a Home can be made direct to the Manager of the Home, to the Senior Children’s Complaints Officer or to Ofsted. 

Ofsted can be contacted in the following ways:

Complaint process

Depending on the nature of your complaint it will be investigated either through the Council Corporate Complaint Procedure or for eligible children’s social care related complaints, via the Children Act 1989 Representations Procedure 2006.

The Senior Children’s Complaints Officer will be able to advise you regarding which process will be followed to investigate your complaint and any timescales.

Once you have completed the Council Complaint process if you remain dissatisfied with the Council’s handling of your complaint, or for independent advice at any time you are able to contact the Local Government Ombudsman and can do so in the following ways: