Friday 10 February
See Oldham in a new light... and explore the town centre for our first late-night arts festival
Follow the ‘trail of light’ from Oldham Parish Church down to Gallery Oldham to see all the wondrous events, happenings and installations.
Oldham Parish Church
- Parade of Illumination – Join the Oldham Owl on a nocturnal parade to its new home in Parliament Square. Carnival performers will bring a trail of sound and movement, accompanied by a river of beautiful paper lanterns made by local children and their families. Parade starts at 6pm.
- Within These Walls – Astonishing 3D projections as Illuminos transform Oldham Parish Church into a giant living canvas. As bells peal and pipes ring the external walls come alive with the extraordinary colours and beautiful patterns found inside the church.
- Crypt by Candlelight – Take a guided tour beneath the church. Call 0161 770 3070 to book.
- Cascadence – Water, mechanical movement and cascading sound in the church gardens, created by Oldham artist Mike Green.
Parliament Square and Old Town Hall Cinema
- Spark! – Magical and mysterious LED drummers use light and sound to transform the landscape around them.
- The Tempest – Global Grooves present a unique and beautiful performance celebrating carnival arts from across the world. Magical creatures set sail on a sea of illuminated ocean wings in a story inspired by Shakespeare’s tale.
- Lights, Camera, Action! – A special screening of the classic trial drama To Kill A Mockingbird (PG) in the perfect setting of the Old Court Room of the new ODEON Oldham.
- The Oldham Giant –The amazing 5-metre tall illuminated puppet, created by Handmade Parade for the opening of The Old Town Hall, returns.
- Light Works – A construction site with a difference as The Bureau of Silly Ideas put the finishing touches to the new public square.
- A Night At The Gallery – Gallery Oldham opens late to showcase its award-winning collections. Includes a visit from an illuminated vintage bus from Manchester Transport Museum to mark the new exhibition
- Starcrossed – Discover a kaleidoscope of Shakespearean curiosities by artist Richard Dawson in the Gallery gardens.
- Stomp To The Light – An exciting new youth dance performance created by Oldham Theatre Workshops and choreographer Jessica Pearson.
- Oldham Illuminated – Explore fascinating photographic gems from the past at Oldham Local Studies and Archives on Union Street. 5–7pm
- Hack Oldham – LED electronics workshops at the Pop-Up Hack Space at Tommyfield Market on Albion Street. 6–9pm Charges apply, more details available at www.hackoldham.com
- Saturdays 28 January and 4 February before the main event
- Lantern Workshops – Free family lantern making workshops at Gallery Oldham, 10.30am–4pm.
- Hack Oldham – Make illuminated gizmos at the Pop-Up Hack Space at Tommyfield Market Hall, 1–4pm