If you rent your home from a private landlord and have questions about your rights, or need further advice or information, please contact:
- Tenancy Relations Service - web page
The Tenancy Relations Service operates a telephone advice service on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 10am - 3:30pm.
- Phone: 0161 770 3612
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For urgent enquires outside these times please call Housing Options on 0161 770 4605.
Tenant Fees Ban
Do you know what fees a landlord or letting agent can ask you to pay?
There are a number of fees that landlords and agents unlawfully charge their tenants. Since 1 June 2019, the Tenant Fees Act 2019, placed a ban on certain payments that your landlord or agent can charge you in connection with your tenancy.
The only payments that landlords or letting agents can charge to tenants in relation to new contracts are:
- The rent
- A refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than five weeks’ rent where your total annual rent is less than £50,000
- A refundable holding deposit to reserve a property, this is capped at no more than 1 weeks’ rent
- Payments to change the tenancy when requested by the tenant, capped at £50, or reasonable costs that are incurred by the landlord or agent
- Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
- Payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and council tax
- A default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement
If your landlord asks you to make any other payments in connection with a tenancy that are not listed above, please seek further advice and assistance from Oldham Council’s Tenancy Relations Service.