Website maintenance Tuesday 5 July

Some forms may be unavailable for short periods on Tuesday 5 July while we carry out routine maintenance work. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Supporting People services offer housing-related support to help people live safely and successfully in their own homes.

Housing related support includes things like:

  • Help to resettle into independent accommodation
  • Help with managing money, claiming benefits and filling in forms
  • Help to get into education, training or employment.

Who is it for?

You may be able to get Supporting People help if you are:

  • Leaving care, or a young person who needs support to manage your tenancy
  • Homeless and need support to help settle
  • An older person who needs support with keeping safe (for example by an emergency alarm or visiting support)
  • An offender or ex-offender who needs support getting a tenancy and to settle
  • A woman experiencing domestic abuse who needs support such as accessing a refuge or installing security measures
  • Someone else who needs support to establish independence or to carry on living independently.


Services that last up to two years are free.

Longer term services may be charged for but if you are getting Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit the service will be free (if you do not receive those benefits you can ask for a financial assessment to determine how much you are able to pay).

You will only be able to receive the grant directly if you also receive a Direct Payment for a social care service.

If you need support that is planned to last for more than two years and you do not get Housing Benefit or Council Tax benefit you may have to pay for the service. You can ask for a financial assessment to be carried out: in accordance with Fairer Charging Guidance.

Information for housing providers