Coronavirus: Changes to restrictions

Only meet indoors with people you live with or your support bubble. Up to 6 people or 2 households can meet outside. Work from home if you can. If you have symptoms get a test and stay at home.

Coronavirus: Information and advice

2. Help in a crisis

Christmas and New Year can be a very difficult time for some people. This year may prove particularly challenging, so here’s a list of services and partner community organisations that can help you in an emergency.

Oldham Council wants to ensure those in most need know where to go for help in a crisis.


If you’re worried about your wellbeing, are struggling financially, or need food over Christmas, our helpline is available 9am–12noon on the following days:

  • Thursday 24 December
  • Tuesday 29 December
  • Wednesday 30 December
  • Thursday 31 December

You can ring the helpline on 0161 770 7007.

However, it will be closed all the weekends and bank holidays during the Christmas period. These are:

  • Friday 25 December
  • Saturday 26 December
  • Sunday 27 December
  • Monday 28 December
  • Friday 1 January
  • Saturday 2 January
  • Sunday 3 January

Other Winter Support

Do you need help this winter or are you looking to give something back to your community? Does your community or voluntary group need a little extra help? If the answer is yes, you can find lots of helpful information on the Action Together website so you can give help or get help this winter.


Housing Advice and Support

  • Closed from 4pm on Thursday 24 December
  • Reopens at 9.30am on Monday 4 January

Emergency phone number: 0800 988 7061

Real Change

Real Change covers essential costs that help people who are homeless or at risk in our area build lives away from the streets.

Mental Health support


T: 116 123 (any time, from any phone for free)

E: (response time 24hrs)


Text SHOUT for free to 85258 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)


T: 0800 1111 (available every day, 7.30am–3.30am)

You can also contact your local GP or call the NHS on 111.



The emergency situations residents are likely to face during that period are:

Broken heating system – tenants should contact their landlords and homeowners would need to call out an emergency heating engineer.

Water emergencies

Contact United Utilities if you have a burst pipe or any other water-related emergency

T: 0345 672 3723

Paying your bills

Contact your utility provider if you are having problems paying your bills