2. Privacy Notice

This notice is to inform you of the type of data that Adult Social Care Services may hold about you, how the data is used and how we keep it secure.

The council’s corporate privacy notice sets out our core data protection obligations and commitments. This notice applies to Adult Social Care.

Information we keep about you

Oldham Council are the Data Controller under the terms of the of the Data Protection legislation and we are legally responsible for ensuring that all personal information that we process, hold, obtain, record, use or share about you is done in compliance with the data protection principles. We process and hold information in order to provide care and support services and to support vulnerable adults, the elderly, those with physical disabilities and carers.

The Health and Social Care Act 2012 has given local authorities the power to perform public health functions. As such the Council has “a duty to improve the health of the people and responsibility for commissioning appropriate public health services” and the statutory responsibilities for public health services as clearly set out in the Health and Social Care Act 2012.

This notice will explain how we use and share your information. Information may be collected in many different ways including on paper, by telephone, electronically or by a member of staff in person.

Why information is kept and shared

We collect your personal information to provide the right kind of services for you. To do this we will collect details about your needs, support you already have in place and your financial circumstances

This will help us

  • Provide you with the information and advice you need
  • Assess if you have eligible care needs
  • Decide with you how best to meet your eligible needs
  • Make sure your support is safe and effective
  • Work with others who provide you with support to ensure you get the best possible service
  • Make sure the care in place is meeting your needs
  • Calculate how much you can afford to pay towards your care services
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your care
  • Commission appropriate services to meet needs
  • Keep track of spending on care services
  • Review the quality of care
  • Research and plan new services
  • Ensure compliance with safeguarding adults policies and procedures

The information we hold may be shared with health services where there would be a benefit to you or in order to promote your personal health and wellbeing. It may also be shared with health services to be used in an anonymised way to help improve the planning of health and social care services generally.

The types of information kept

You will be asked personal questions about all your personal needs, your home circumstances, your health, social life and financial circumstances. Information will also be provided by staff who care for you including nurses, doctors, therapists and care providers. This information will include details about

  • Your medical history
  • Your needs and the support you require
  • Where you live
  • Your family and friends
  • Your money and your financial circumstances
  • Your safety and any concerns about this

Information Sharing

In addition to the general reasons for information sharing described in the council’s corporate privacy notice, we may, with your permission, share personal information about you with the following types of organisations

  • Health services
  • Care providers
  • Voluntary organisations such as Age UK
  • Other local authorities
  • Government agencies
  • Department for Work and Pensions

in order to meet our legal responsibilities and enable everyone working with you to support you effectively saving you being asked for the same information over and over again.

How your information is kept safe

The council makes every effort to keep all the personal data it holds secure, whether held electronically or as paper copies. The council has security procedures and an Information Security Policy to ensure we handle data appropriately and protect it from accidental loss or misuse. We also ensure that only members of staff with a legitimate reason to access your information have permission to do so.

Your information will only be kept for a specific amount of time after which it will be securely destroyed in line with the council’s record retention policies.

Could this information be shared without your permission?

There are certain occasions where information can be shared without consent. For example where there is a legal justification to do so, a serious crime has or may be committed or where there might be a child or adult at risk. If you think that your information has been shared inappropriately please contact your case worker.

Using your NHS number in adult social care

If you are receiving adult social care support in Oldham then the NHS may share your NHS number with us. This is so that the same number can be used to identify you. By using the same number adult social care and the NHS can work together to provide you with the correct care and support.

Your NHS number is accessed through an NHS service called the Personal Demographic Service (PDS). Adult social care send basic information such as your name, address and date of birth to the PDS in order to find your NHS number. Once retrieved from the PDS the NHS number is stored in the Council’s adult social care case management system.

You have the right to object to the processing of your NHS number. This will not stop you from receiving care, but may limit how we are able to support you. To help you decide we will discuss with you how this may affect our ability to provide you with care, and the other options available to you.

If you object to the use of your NHS number for Adult Social Care Purposes or if you want to discuss any of this information in more detail please contact your case worker.

Your rights

Your information is protected by the Data Protection legislation. This means that the information will only be used for the reasons stated. Your information will be kept safe and secure. You can request a copy of the information kept about you, a £10 fee is payable for this and details of how to do this are available from your case worker or can be found online at:

You may also ask the council to consider any objections you may have to the processing of your personal information.

Information about:

  • Exercising your rights
  • Contacting our Data Protection Officer
  • Making a complaint to us, or
  • Making a complaint to the Information Commissioner

Can be obtained by contacting your case worker or online at:

Changes to this privacy notice

The council may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make any substantial changes in the way we use your personal information we will make this information available by amending this notice.