Housing benefit

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit to help you to pay your rent if you are on a low income.

Apply for housing benefit

You can use the online form to calculate what you may be entitled to and make a claim.

You only need to complete this form if:

  • You have never claimed Housing Benefit before in Oldham
  • You do not already receive Housing Benefit in Oldham 

If your Housing Benefit claim is currently suspended please complete the change of circumstances form. 

Who is it for?

Anyone paying rent in council property, privately rented accommodation, hostels and housing association accommodation (if you live in privately rented accommodation you may be eligible for a Local Housing Allowance).

You may also be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments if your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of your rent. 

Housing Benefit or Universal Credit?

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to claim either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. 

Universal Credit is a national welfare benefit that must be applied for online at gov.uk and is administered through your local Jobcentre.

Universal Credit replaces Housing Benefit, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (income related), Jobseekers Allowance (Income based), Working Tax Credit and child tax credit.

If the following apply to you, claim Housing Benefit :

  • You are a pensioner
  • You have more than two children
  • You are receiving Housing Benefit in Oldham and move to another address in the Oldham area
  • You live in supported or exempt accommodation. - Supported or exempt accommodation is housing provided by a registered social landlord, council or non-profit making organisation or charity where care, support or supervision is provided to the tenant. If you are unsure if your accommodation falls into this category, please ask your landlord

For all other cases, claim Universal Credit: