Council Tax competition
Pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit and manage your Council Tax account online to have the chance to win one of five prizes:
- First £300
- Second £250
- Third £200
- Fourth £150
- Fifth £100
How to enter
To enter you have to pay your Council Tax for 2017/18 via direct debit.
If you have done this already you will automatically be entered into the competition.
If you haven't set up a direct debit you can do so by:
You can set up a Direct Debit online.
You can set up a Direct Debit by calling 0161 770 6622.
You will need your bank details and Council Tax account reference.
Download and complete the Direct Debit application form and return it to:
PO box 4
The competition is open to the residents of Oldham borough. Oldham Council, Unity Partnership, Oldham Community Leisure and school staff who live in Oldham, are also able to enter this competition.
If you are going through the debt recovery process or have been in the debt recovery process in 2016-17 from the summons stage onwards you will not be eligible to be entered into the prize draw, unless they have agreed a suitable arrangement to pay with the Council Tax Team.
You need to send your Direct Debit instructions so we receive them by Friday 28 April 2017.
The winners will be drawn on the Wednesday 31 May 2017.
All winners will be contacted using the email addresses associated with My Account in the first week of June 2017.
Why should you set up a Direct Debit?
Direct Debit is the quickest, safest and easiest way to pay your Council Tax. You can make regular Council Tax payments, which is all done automatically so you don’t have to worry about missing a payment. Not only is it convenient, it's also really simple and safe.
It takes just a few minutes to set up and it saves you lots of time over the year in comparison to telephone or online payments.
You have a choice of payment dates and options - you can pay fortnightly or monthly over ten or 12 months, whichever is the most convenient for you.
Direct Debit payments come with an immediate money back guarantee from your bank in the event of an error, advance notice if the date or amount changes, and the right to cancel at any time.
Why are we doing this?
Direct Debit and online transactions are the most convenient and cost effective way to pay your Council Tax and helps us make savings.
Competition terms and conditions
Please note: Direct Debits cannot be made from certain types of account, for example a savings account. Please check with your bank if you are unsure. You should also check to make sure you have sufficient funds in your account to cover the payment at this date – if not you may incur charges from your bank.
Please remember that it does take a little time for the council to set up your Direct Debit and you should continue to pay your Council Tax until we send you a notification letter.
Your payments are protected under the Direct Debit Guarantee. All banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit scheme offer this guarantee. The efficiency and security of the scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
If the amount to be paid or the payment dates change, Oldham Council will notify you at least ten working days in advance of your bank account being credited or as otherwise agreed.
- The prize draw is open to any person aged 18 or over who is liable to pay Council Tax to Oldham Council and has, or by Friday 28 April 2017 has set up, arrangements to pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit for the financial year 2017-18 and has registered for Council Tax with a My Account.
- Only one entry per person per household (you cannot cancel your Direct Debit and re-set to gain more entries).
- Requests to pay by Direct Debit must be received by the Revenues Team by close of business on Friday 28 April 2017. We reserve the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- All customers who have been paying their Council Tax by Direct Debit before this competition was launched are eligible and will be entered automatically into the draw.
- All customers who have registered for Council Tax with My Account before this competition was launched are eligible and will be entered automatically into the draw as long as they set up Direct Debit payments.
- Requests to pay by Direct Debit made after the deadline can still be accepted and set up as the new payment method, but will NOT be eligible for inclusion in the prize draw.
- The Council Tax payer is responsible for the timely submission of any Direct Debit request. Proof of posting will not be accepted as proof of delivery.
- Council, Unity Partnership OCL and school staff who are residents in Oldham are able to enter this competition.
Residents who are going through debt recovery process or have been in the debt recovery process in 2015-16 from the summons stage onwards will not be eligible to be entered into the prize draw.
The prize will be as published; no alternative will be offered and the prize cannot be transferred to another person.
There are a range of prizes from 1st to 5th.
- The first prize winner drawn will win £300
- The second prize winner drawn will win £250
- The third prize winner drawn will win £200
- The fourth prize winner drawn will win £150
- The fifth prize winner drawn will win £100
Payment of the prize will be made via credit to the winner’s bank account (to be confirmed after the prize draw).
The prize draw will take place on Wednesday 31 May 2017.The prize draw will be overseen by the Chief Executive or a member of Cabinet who will act as judge.
The prize winner must be making their Council Tax payments by Direct Debit as at the date of Wednesday 31 May 2017.
The prize winner will be notified of the results as soon as practicable after the draw date.
By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as we may require.
The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into concerning the judges’ decision.
No correspondence will be entered into regarding the interpretation of these terms and conditions.
We will contact the winners using the email addresses associated with My Account