In the High Court of Justice, Queen's Bench Division
In the Matter of the Representation of the People Act, 1983
And in the Matter of a Local Government Election for Coldhurst ward, Oldham
Held on the 6th day of May, 2021
The Petition of Montaz Ali Azad shows:
1. That the Petitioner Montaz Ali Azad is a person who was a candidate at the above election
2. That the election was held on the 6th day of May, 2021, when Jean Betteridge, David James Cahill, Abdul Jabbar and Mick Scholes, were candidates, and on the 6th day of May 2021, the Returning Officer returned Abdul Jabbar was declared to be duly elected.
3. That the local election was badly run. My polling agents were not allowed to enter polling stations from 7am until around 12.30pm to represent me in the polling stations due to elections office error.
4. That the ballot boxes could not have been checked it was empty before it was sealed by the presiding officers.
5. My polling agents could not assist me in detecting incidences of personation by not being able to enter the polling stations.
6. That the polling station mobile unit co2, maygate, had a very small portacabin allowing one in one out which resulted in long queue and this deterred would be voters waiting in the adverse weather.
The Petitioner therefore pray
(1) That it may be determined that the said Abdul Jabbar was not duly elected [or returned] and that the election was void.
(2) That the petitioner may have such further or other relief as may be just
(3) That a re-election is authorised.
Dated this 24th day of May, 2021.
This petition was presented by Montaz Ali Azad whose address for service is 170 Middleton Road, Oldham, OL9 6BG
It is proposed to serve a copy of this petition on the returning officer of oldham council and Abdul Jabbar of Labour party and on the Director of Public Prosecutions.